Tuesday, December 20, 2011

The Spirit of Santa


I've always loved Santa.  The "real" Santa and anything Santa related.  Santa reminded me of all the wonderful things from my childhood Christmas's and what that entailed.

I remember when I was a child and someone told me that Santa wasn't real.  My parents were so mad that they went to the child's parents and gave them an earful.  Well, last year we told "B" that there wasn't a Santa.  We didn't want to lie to him or for him to find out from someone else.  We wanted to explain to him our thoughts about Santa.



See, I've always believed that there is a Santa, as in a Spirit of Santa.  What that means to me is being of a kind heart and spirit.  Have I always shown these characteristics ... no!  Do I wish that I could have ... yes!  Christmas is a time to give and not receive, but in the past I didn't feel that way.  I felt that if I gave a gift, I should receive one in return.  This mindset just set me up for a lot of disappointment and anger.  I would get mad at anyone who I felt mistreated me and became bitter and I would close off from both family and friend who I felt didn't really care for me. 

Well, lucky for me I have had my eyes opened by some very special people who have shown me that that kind of mindset was not healthy.  This year I have come to realize that there are going to be people and I mean close people in my life who are going to disappoint me.  It is my choice as to how I'm going to react to those disappointments, and they're not disappointments if I don't let them be.


Aaron and I didn't want "B" to be disappointed, so we told him that there wasn't a "real" Santa but Santa was in all of us in giving to others even when we don't receive the same in return.  It took me 43+ years to learn this and we didn't want Brent to have to struggle with what I, and maybe my hubby also,  had to deal with.  We also want "B" to be a loving and caring child and soon to be young man who is genuine and cares for others no matter how he is treated in return.  My hubby is famous for being genuine,  kind and caring even when others treat him the wrong way and I love him for that.

I think Santa or the "Spirit of Santa" is a great tool in teaching children to be kind and caring and to show them that disappointment is only a part of your life if you let it.  Trouble is going to be a part of your life, but it's how you deal with it that show your true Santa Spirit.  I can still say that Santa is a big part of my life and always will be.  Is he a part of your life?  If not, why?  How about this year, let the Spirit of Santa be with you.  It may surprise you.

No comments:

Post a Comment