Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Medical Bag DIY

I teach preschool and have over the years collected an array of stuff.  One thing that I had a lot of, was medical play tools.  The doctor's totes that they come in last about a year and then you're left with the play tools and nothing to put them into and a broken medical box.

 
So what do you do with all the mismatched items.  Well, I decided to create a canvas tote for them.  Here are the items I used.  An tan tote and some red polyester fabric.  I also cut out to rectangular templates to make a cross and used my handy dandy cutting board to lay everything out.


Once I cut the fabric pieces and pinned them to the tote, I used my sewing machine to sew a zigzag stitch along the long edges.  I'm not overly concerned about the short ends.  This is what the tote looked like when I was finished. 


To finish the bag off, I added some pictures of x-rays that I uploaded from the Internet and laminated for durability.  Remember these are preschoolers. Now all my mismatched medical play tools have a new home that won't be falling apart anytime soon!

3 comments:

  1. Great idea! I teach preschool too and I have also found that those boxes can be dangerous when little fingers get caught in them! I had that problem with everything with a hinge last school year.

    ReplyDelete