Thursday, December 15, 2011

Expectations

In the past, I've had high expectations about the holidays and not just Christmas, but most holidays.  In my opinion, an expectation, if not truly controlled, is an evil thing.

Expectation:  (ex·pec·ta·tion)  Noun:  1.  A strong belief that something will happen or be the case in the future.  2.  A belief that someone will or should achieve something.



I've been so guilty of having high expectations for the holidays and then being let down because those expectations aren't even remotely met.  Well, in the past few months I've allowed myself to not have such high expectations and it has been such an amazing release of stress and anxiety in wondering if those expectations are going to be met.  I've allowed myself to just enjoy the holiday season.  I'm not nearly done my Christmas shopping and in the past that would drive me crazy, but not this year.  I've been focusing on my blog, which you have seen, and that has allowed me to step back and take in the joy of the season. 

I've learned to not really care or get upset with what may happen when I'm out with other people at holiday parties and social gatherings.  This was such an issue for me that I didn't look forward to going at all and just wanted to stay home.  But it seems that others also have their expectations ... of me.  I'm sure there are times then I'm in the same boat as the others, in not meeting their expectations, but I've really just been trying to focus on me.  This is how it is with me now.  I'm the person God intended me to be, flaws and all!  You may not like how I act, how I dress, how much weight I've lost or how much more I intend to, what I may say, and you may not like the choices and decisions I make, but I can't help that.  I'm not going to change who I am to please you, just like you're not going to change who you are for me. 
So in saying all of this, what I'm trying to say is that I have learned to limit my own expectation to lessen the stress, anxiety, and disappointment in my life and I encourage other to do the same. Like people for who they are... flaws and all and do the same with yourself.   It's a very uplifting and fulfilling feeling.

I like this quote by Paul Rand ~ “Simplicity is not the goal. It is the by-product of a good idea and modest expectations.”

I'm actually looking forward to this holiday with modest expectations.  To enjoy spending time with my husband, son, and extended family and friends.  

No comments:

Post a Comment